Ada's Recipe Box

Transcriptions of the recipes of Ada Thomas, with commentary by her children.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Easy Scalloped Potatoes

8 to 10 medium potatoes
2 cans cream of celery soup
1 1/2 c grated cheese
1/4 c firmly chopped onion
1 pt sour cream
1/4 c melted margarine

Cook potatoes until tender. Cool. Heat together undiluted soup, cheese, onion and sour cream until mixture starts to liquify. Slice potatoes very thin, putting layer of potatoes, then sauce on top. Sprinkle top with 1 1/2 c grated cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

[All recipes are published as written. You will see that 1 1/2 cups of cheese are listed in the ingredients. There is cheese listed in the 'mixture', and then 1 1/2 cups to be sprinkled on top. I assume the cheese for the topping is a separate amount, and thus 3 cups of cheese will be needed to make the recipe.]

1 Comments:

At 9:34 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I remember mother making scalloped potatoes quite often, however she made her mother's recipe in those early days of my childhood. Those potatoes were covered with a homemade white sauce and cheese. I'm sure she later changed to this new receipe when canned soup became a popular substitute for the laborious white sauce. I remember so well having to take a turn stirring the white sauce so it wouldn't burn while mother prepared the rest of the meal. Thanks Gayle,for going through the cookbook and sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home