Ada's Recipe Box

Transcriptions of the recipes of Ada Thomas, with commentary by her children.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Nutmeg Cake (French Loaf Cake)

2 c sugar
3/4 c shortening
1 1/4 c milk
3 eggs
3 t baking powder
4 t nutmeg
1 c raisins
1 yeast
4 c flour

Cream together sugar, shortening, and milk. Add eggs to creamed mixture. Sift dry ingredients--Add alternately with milk, crumble, put in yeast in last lot of flour. Raisins. 325 -350, 1 hour.

[Handwritten. Notation at the top says "Dugan", presumably Ada's source, probably her sister or her sister's relatives. The directions were clearly written for her own use; I could not reliably translate her notes. I assume that the yeast is crumbled and mixed in with the last unit of dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, but I cannot guarantee it. And what size loaf pan? Don't know. Anyone in the family have experience with this recipe, or this type of recipe? Did Ada make this regularly or at all?]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home