Swiss Cheese Loaf
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup very warm water
1/4 cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
8 ounces Swiss cheese, cut in 1/4-inch cubes
1. Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a large bowl; stir to dissolve. ("Very warm water" should feel comfortably warm when dropped on wrist.) Stir in milk, sugar, salt, oil, eggs and 1 1/2 cups of the flour. Beat on medium speed with electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally, 10 minutes. Stir in remaining flour with spoon until smooth. Cover; let rise in warm place away from draft until double in volume, about 1 hour.
2. Stir down batter by beating about 25 strokes; gently work in cheese until evenly distributed. Shape into ball; place in greased 9-inch pie plate. Let rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
3. Bake in moderate oven (375 degrees) for 30 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped with fingertip. Remove from plate; cool on wire rack.
[Magazine clipping. Recipe note: From the new "Gold Medal Century of Success Cookbook," this contemporary, very flavorful bread is easy to make."]

2 Comments:
Doesn't grandma have any "real" recipes, that aren't from magazines or newspapers? Did she really MAKE any of these?
You're asking two different questions here:
(1) Are there any recipes in here that are not clippings?
So far, and I have not gone through the whole stack, there have not been many. Even the handwritten ones, though, are not guaranteed to have been actually made; they may have just been copied from someone else with intention to make someday. And it is possible that she actually used some of the clippings, making them her own. Which takes us to the next question...
(2) Did she really MAKE any of these?
I don't know. I can say that I am certain that she did not make some, or perhaps even most, of these. Certainly most show no signs of having been used; some even contain ingredients such as coffee or liquor that Ada would not have used, and possibly did not notice when she clipped them.
I have even wondered if this was her file of recipes she intended to try someday, but then what happened to her REAL recipe file?
But I am not comfortable in the role of judge here; I did not live in her household; I cannot say "This looks like the recipe that Mother used to make that I remember so well." or "I'm sure Mother never made that." So I am left with the role of transcriber, and have frequently wished that her children would comment, and give context to these recipes.
Having said all this...
I could try to categorize them more, rather than take them in the order they were placed in the recipe box (there are no dividers, just row(s) of recipes). For example, I could publish the hand-written ones first, or the ones that show signs of use (not many of these, but I could look), or all the bread recipes. I cannot guarantee that a spotless recipe was not used, however, just that it was not spattered. But I am open to suggestion; I will merely stipulate that sooner or later, all of them will be published.
btw--I find it interesting to see what recipes caught her eye, whether or not she ever made them. A little peek into her personality there...
Anyway, whoever is reading this (including Alice ;-)), I am looking for suggestions. Please help.
Post a Comment
<< Home