Ada's Recipe Box

Transcriptions of the recipes of Ada Thomas, with commentary by her children.

Monday, April 24, 2006

Fresh Cucumber Soup

20 ounces unflavored yogurt
14 ounces cucumber
3 ounces Corinthe raisin (very tiny variety from Greece)
1 ounce fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 ounce dill, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

Peel cucmber and slice lengthwise into halves. Scoop out seeds and grate coursely (sic).

Stir yogurt in deep bowl with a whisk until it is completely smooth. Add the cucumber, raisin, mint, salt and pepper; stir.

Refreigerate for at least 2 hours until chilled. Serves 10.

Optional: add 1 cube and one fresh mint leaf to each portion.

[This is a newspaper clipping. I wish I knew which newspaper so I could never ever ever take it. If their copy editors can't tell "coursely" (which I doubt is even a word) from "coarsely," they don't deserve my business. And I'm trying to picture the garnish of 1 cube (and 1 fresh mint leaf). Cube of what? ice? root? cucumber? Or maybe they meant (mint) "cuke" but would that be a whole cucumber, or a slice, or a spear? I wash my hands of the whole thing. Of course, that could be because I don't want to look for Corinthe raisins.]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home