Guacamole
1 large, ripe, unblemished avocado
1 teasoon finely grated onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chopped peeled green serrano chilies (fresh or canned)
3 teaspoons finely chopped onion
2 tablespoons lime juice
1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds, finely crushed
1/4 cup cubed, seeded fresh tomato
1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
1 red radish, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves (optional)
or: 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. Peel the avocado and discard the pit. Cut the avocado into 1-inch cubes.
2. Put the avocado in a mixing bowl and cut it back and forth with a knife to make a coarse-fine texture.
3. Add the grated onion, garlic, chilies, chopped onion, lime juice, coriander seeds, tomato, olive oil and radish. (If the coriander is used, do not use the basil.)
Make about 2 cups.
Calories: 168 Sodium: 6 mg. Fat: 15.8 g. Cholesterol: 0
[Clipped from a magazine. I love guacamole. But radishes? I've never had guacamole with radishes before, I can confidently assert, because I know and like radishes. Just not in guacamole.]
[And I'm not sure what to think of this "coarse-fine" description. I have a hard enough time, when I'm in chopping mode, deciding if my "coarse" is coarse enough, or my "fine" is fine enough. With "coarse-fine," all bets are off. Any thing between a whole avocado and a puree is justifiable. ]
[This recipe creator must have an infinitesimally delicate palate for texture. In addition to "coarse-fine" chopped avocado, we have both finely grated onion and finely chopped onion. I can pretend there's a difference, but what is the purpose in using both? Finely chopped onion is probably a bit coarser than finely grated onion (does that make it "fine-coarse-fine" or "coarse fine fine" or "fine fine fine coarse"?) but still--why both? Why not 4 teaspoons finely chopped onion if you can detect the bitsy crunches amid all that thinly sliced radish and cubed seeded fresh tomato? ...perhaps this was a cookery school's final exam for Textures 400.]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home