Asparagus with Egg Sauce
4 eggs
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper
1 pound asparagus
Place eggs in pan of gently boiling water. Simmer over moderate heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and plunge in ice water. Remove shells. Egg whites should be just set.
Melt butter over low heat. In a medium bowl, mash eggs with a fork and stir in butter, lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
Cook asparagus by one of the methods described above. Divide among 4 plates. Serve sauce separately in 4 small bowls to use as a dip for the asparagus spears.
[Newspaper clipping. Apparently one of a group of asparagus recipes, since this is the third one in not very long. I thought about spacing this out a little further, but I remembered it's asparagus season, so we might as well enjoy while we can.
[Now, about that instruction to "cook asparagus by one of the methods described above." Ada didn't clip the part described above, or if she did, I haven't found it yet. But I am confident that you can find out how to cook asparagus in one of your trusted cookbooks or on the Internet or from your mother. So we won't lose sleep over that little omission.
[Enjoy.]

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home