Gingerbread Pancakes
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon instant coffee
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup light molasses
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 slightly beaten egg
Sift together dry ingredients. Combine molasses, water, melted butter, and egg; gradually add to dry ingredients, blending till almost smooth. For same-size pancakes, dip batter with a 1/4-cup measure. Bake on lightly greased hot griddle about 5 minutes, turning once. Makes about 20 four-inch cakes.
[Magazine clipping. Commentary attached to the recipe: For an outdoor brunch, serve with melted butter and warm maple-flavored syrup. More commentary: Gingerbread sundaes--flip a batch of Gingerbread Pancakes and top them with scoops of vanilla ice cream, nuts, and maple-flavored syrup.
[I am confident that Ada never made this recipe, given its pristine condition and the instant coffee in the recipe. However, I include it in the interests of completeness, because Ada thought she wanted to make it sometime, and I am confident an enterprising cook in the family can figure out a way to substitute something else for the coffee.]

1 Comments:
I'm with "dafyd" except that I read somewhere regarding a recipe for Brownies that called for coffee, to substitute dark chocolate powder. :)
Post a Comment
<< Home