Ada's Recipe Box

Transcriptions of the recipes of Ada Thomas, with commentary by her children.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Crispy French Bread

1 T oil
1 T salt
1 T sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 cup cold water
1 pkg yeast
5 to 5 1/2 c flour
egg white

Combine first 4 ingredients. Add cold water. Let cool then add yeast. Let set 5 minutes. Mix to blend. Add flour gradually. Knead about 5 minutes. Let rise till double. Shape into 3 loaves 10 inches long. Place on lightly greased baking sheet. Let rise 1 hr. Brush with beaten egg white. Make 3 diagonal slashes in each loaf. Place in preheated oven 425 degrees, 15 to 30 minutes until crust is golden. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees. Bake 30 minutes more.

[Handwritten ]

1 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger AliceK[i]ND said...

I've been trying for years to get my french bread to be "crispy" so I will give this one a try and hope it works. I'm so glad you are doing this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home